View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Business improperly taxing clients

So I'm going through receipts to claim some massages and I notice that the place I've been going to for years has been totalling my tip with the cost for service, then adding tax on both. This looked weird to me, as no other places that I tip has the same structure on their receipts. I looked into it, and sure enough - not allowed. I don't know how this slipped by me up to now, but I'm pretty upset about it. In the end, I'm not out a ton of money - but they're most definitely breaking the rules. And as a small business owner myself, that really rubs me the wrong way.

How should I deal with this? I recently found a therapist there who is incredible and I want to keep going there. I don't like getting overcharged however. I know I could contact the owner and bring it up - but not sure what that might bring on. If they feel they're doing things right they may argue with me and I don't want it to be awkward next time I go in - massages are supposed to be relaxing.

I could call the CRA, but I don't want them getting hammered for a mistake. But - what if it's not a mistake? What if they're skimming? It's tax season so I'm looking at receipts and I just came across another for a different business who is rounding up the pennies on Interac charges - again, not allowed.

How would you handle this? Again the cost to me is minimal, but the principal really bugs me...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote