View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #51
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bennett on a 3 or 4 year deal at 3.5 is what I would love to see, haven't dove into the numbers or similar contracts but considering our "window" to win with our current core is the next 3 - 4 years minimum, Bennett is a guy that helps us win.

I mean I think the most likely/worst case scenario being discussed here is that Bennet continues to only put up 30 - 40 points during the regular season for the next 4 years and then ALWAYS shows up in the playoffs as a gamer. Even if that's what happens, I'd be happy to keep him at that value.

But then there's the more optimistic scenario that accounts for the fact that he's 22 years old and IMO the second half of this season he's shown a lot of maturity.
Not letting his frustrations get the better of him and taking stupid penalties is one thing, but after his rookie season I think it was clear to just about everybody that he expected more of himself, leading to disappointment and lost confidence.
But this season, it really seemed like he was relishing his new role of being the teams bulldog and he FINALLY found his role, carving that chip off his shoulder.

One last thing, I think paired with a gritty centre on that 3rd line such as Kadri or another FA, we will see Bennett take another step next season. I think Jankowski has been great in flashes during the regular season but i would love to load up that 3rd line with a gritty centre to compliment Bennett. Ideally that would then leave the RW spot open to a Neal resurgence (please Jesus) or an open spot for the guy who earns it in camp.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote