View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 07:45 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Improvement under Ward might be as much the result of addition by the subtraction of Peters than addition by addition of Ward.

I think they could've been on an even better trajectory with an experienced coach.

I think Ward made a series of poor in game decisions that kept them from collecting more points than they did after christmas. He doesn't appear to be in tune with the pulse of his bench given his decision making at key times.

But this goes to show that even without a strong presence in the leadership role, they're naturally a decent team.

They could be a much better team with a coach that can adjust in game to the opponent, press buttons and employ strategies that have a history of working at this level.

If you're satisfied enough by those 50 or so games to declare this guy head coach, I don't think you're aiming as high as you should with a team that boasts this kind of talent. My response would be that we should be aiming for higher than what the Flames have shown under Ward.

Nobody here felt the Flames were poised to do much damage in the playoffs outside of possible edging a mediocre opponent in round one.

I'd rather lock down a coach that instills more faith in me with the on ice product. This "conclusion" Francis is drawing is so in line with the Calgary Flames of old. Leading the Flames to 3rd behind the good but not elite Vegas and the overachieving Oilers (and a good chance of being bumped down by the still rebuilding Canucks) while looking hard pressed to break even in GF/GA is too low of a bar to set, if you're set on winning something IMO.

If Ward has convinced you with that stretch of games Eric, then you're clearly more easily satisfied by this club than I am.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: