View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #49
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good timing for this thread, as I'm thinking about an RTT for our small family (us and 4 and 7 year old), and trying to decide between an RTT or a smaller camper.

We have a Lexus LX470 (ie Landcruiser 100) and want to use it mostly for road trips (mixed with hotels), and general family adventure. My current budget is <$10K for everything including housing/roof racks/hitch etc. Unfortunately every trailer I've looked at within that price range feels like I'm entering grandmas house in the 70s. Plus when we travel, we like a mix of city and country, and the idea of towing/parking in a city does not appeal to me whatsoever.

So far what I've found with RTT's, relatively to pop up tent or small campers:

Pros:
• Price, relative to a camper
• No towing (my biggest pro), so easier to park and maneuver around in urban environments
• Allows you flexibility to go more off-road or in more remote locations, which many campers aren't suited for.
• No hitch needed, or if you have one, can be used for other items (bikes)
• Set up is pretty quick (some hard-shells take less than a minute, and under 5 minutes to close)
• Because of quick setup, better for short trips, or if you are always on the go.
• Safer from animals as you're higher up (important with my wife, especially after the CP wolf incident!)
• Being off the ground also offers protection against colder/wet/uneven ground, relatively to tents.
• No off-site storage fees in winter.
• The design/aesthetic of them feels from this century, unlike the ####ty plywood campers form Indiana.
• Feels more like an adventure, especially for the kids.
• If we don't like it, relatively cheap buy-in compared to camper.

Cons:
• Price, relatively to tents
• Typically need a more hardcore roof rack because of weight.
• Space inside obviously not as big as a camper (2 adults + 2 kids is the max)
• No amenities inside (shower/toilet/kitchen). Experience might get a little too real after a while.
• Your rooftop space is used up if you like to bring other things
• Probably poorer fuel economy compared to towing as you have a brick on your roof (less of an issue with more aerodynamic hard-shell tents). Also raises your center of gravity.
• Despite quick setup/takedown, need to do so every time you want to leave your site.
• Still a canvas tent, so somewhat susceptible to weather/lightning compared to hard-shell camper.
• Need to use a ladder.
• Probably not ideal if you like to stay in one place for longer periods.
• While no storage fees, still need to find a place to store it in winter. Probably a headache to take on/off.
• Probably will outgrow it in a few years.

In case anyone else is looking, my current contenders are:
• Ikamper Skycamp (my favorite, but $$$)
• Tepui Autana 4
• CVT Denali
• 23zero Walkabout 87

Last edited by Table 5; 02-28-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: