View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #648
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
While I've already said I think the PGA needs to tread lightly as far as being too militant in going after LIV, let's not act like LIV really wants to co-exist. You aren't spending the money they've spent to be the AFL to the PGA's NFL. They ultimately want to be the only major professional golf tour, and Norman's bitterness is driving a fair amount of that. It's also worth pointing out, kinda crucially, that there still at this point does not appear to be any demand for LIV Golf, short of being some extension of MAGA. The irony of it all though, the Saudis wanting to sportswash and their current biggest foothold is with a group who hates Muslims.
It's hard to see what a co-existence would even look like. I agree that LIV's only path to success is to take down the PGA tour. If both tours continue down the road of requiring at least 14 or so tournaments, then players aren't going to play both. If the two tours cut a deal for 4 or so LIV tournaments that PGA players could play and not lose eligibility, then that's just 4 tournaments on top of a busy schedule that no one is going to care about, and LIV isn't giving players 100 million plus to come play 4 tournaments a year.

One side needs to win. If liv somehow got the majority of top 15 players on their tour, then it's pretty much game over for the PGA tour as it is now. It can't exist as a big money tour without the best golfers. If LIV did win out and got all the good players, how do they succeed in the long run? Where are their new stars coming from? Will people watch if they are the top tour? So many golf fans detest their format and the invite only/guaranteed money aspect of it.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote