View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #32
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The people who won trophies at the NHL awards last year are not necessarily the best players at their respective positions in the game. Why does this even have to be explained to people?
These are the same people that see various power rankings and go ballistic because the Flames are 8th instead of 5th. Like it or not, Gio is not the best defenseman in the league right now.

Yes, he had the best season in the league last season, but if you put it all together, there is no way he is better than a guy like Hedman and probably 3-4 other guys on that list. Now, if he duplicates last year or comes close to that season again, the conversation will start to become seriously different.

As it stands now, you're talking about a guy that didn't crack 40 points the previous 2 seasons regardless of the circumstance. To be the best in the league, I would argue you need to have a lengthy track record of posting top end offensive numbers regardless of your defensive play. This is no slight to Giordano, but people need to be a bit more realistic when you're looking at who people around the league would consider for this ranking and why that is.