View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #265
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Like I said, I think their forward group is good enough to be a playoff team with the moves they have made.

I think their goaltending is good enough. The only real hole on the roster is their Defense.

I think they contend for the playoffs this year, so not out of the question for them to land just outside as you noted, but I wouldn't be surprised to grab a wildcard spot, or even divisional playoff spot.

The pacific is again really difficult to predict. In no particular order...
CGY - Lots of career years last year. With minimal changes to the core roster, will the flames be as good as last year or is there a regression in order?
SJ - Strong core back again, but lose their captain and elite player in Pavelski, and lose some depth.
LVG - Strong team, but has lost some depth.
ARZ - Strong finish. Some key adds in the offseason to a young group that appeared to have turned the corner, albeit late in last season.
EDM - Basically the same roster as last year, with some depth additions. I think they hope to bring up some of their youth both on forward/D and hope that they surprise.
ANH - Key stars have aged, but at the same time, the ducks have some really strong prospects. Doubt they are a playoff team this year.
Kings - retooling year.
Vancouver - Playoff calibre forwards/D, weak D.

If I had to offer my power rankings of the div as of right now:
1. LVG
2. SJ
3. CGY

4. ARZ
5. VAN
6. EDM
7. ANH

8. LA
you're right, defence was our biggest hole. I think the moves we made on defence makes that hole smaller though.

the biggest reason of the Canucks free falled last season was when we lost Edler AND Tanev at the same time for long periods of time.

that forced players like Gudbranson, Pouliot, Hutton to play minutes that they weren't capable of.

the injuries hit us hard on defence. Biega played 41 games of us and he's a 7th-8th defenceman, i think every defenceman in Utica played for us at one point lol.

now the Myers and Benn signing imo improves our defence because it means Edler and Tanev will have a lighter work load = healthier season + a full season of Quinn Hughes.

Edler - Myers
Hughes - Tanev
Benn - Stecher

vs

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Pouliot - Gudbranson
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote