View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #24
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done 4 all inclusive trips, two in Mexico and two in Cuba. One was to Varadero and the other was to Cayo Coco. I found Varadero to be better than Cayo Coco in every respect, except we had better snorkeling in Cayo Coco. Varadero is a bus or car ride away from Havana, but Cayo Coco is a short flight and Havana is a must IMO.

Already lots of good advice on here. Stay away from buying cigars from anything other than an official store and buy aged rum. I will second the airport as a good place to buy cigars and rum as well. Similarly priced to other stores I came across and you'll have time to kill as they like to get you there early. Not sure what you like for rum, but I recommend the Havana Club 7 year dark rum. Delicious and a big bottle is so, so much cheaper than it is here.

My biggest complaint about all inclusive resorts is the food. A lot of it is either mediocre, hard on the system or open at poor times. My resort at Cayo Coco was all of this. There would be big blocks of time when there was no where on the resort when you could eat. As someone who was up late partying and therefore not up early in the morning I would miss breakfast and would have to wait till 11:30 for the lunch buffet to open. A lot of the food was bland and everyone from the group spent their fair share of time on the toilet. This was at a 4 star resort. I had better luck at the resorts in Mexico, although nothing to write home about.

The best place I've stayed at was the Iberostar Varadero. The food was easily the best I've had at any resort I've been too. They had puff pastries that were shaped like swans! Food was available 24/7. All the restaurants were great. Everything was clean and tidy, pool was huge, the bars and booze were great, no complaints. I don't believe it was cheap though. EDIT: looked at the prices and it's not too bad, found one for $1500 for a week for two people.

Travel advisor has it ranked number one in Varadero apparently. Link.

Last edited by Burninator; 04-28-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote