View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Chances are they won't be better than most wedding photographers. Maybe most people that call themselves wedding photographers, but definitely not better than most people who actually do it for a living.
I just went through the whole process of finding a wedding photographer, and it was ridiculous how much crap I ran across (and I say this as an Art Director who works with photographers and creatives for a living...). So many cheesy suburban moms and weekend warriors with terrible taste....and a lot of them charging ridiculously high prices for what you get. $5k for a book full of terrible soft-focus effects? No thanks.

Wedding photographers make great money, but aren't always the most respected in the industry, so you have to look around to find the right person.....just because someone calls themselves a pro doesn't mean they are necessarily good. A good 3rd/4th year student from ACAD will most likely have a solid trained eye regardless of what they shoot, whether they have the experience yet or not with weddings. Where they might fall short is the logistics of it all....that is something only experience brings. But that's the risk if you want to go budget.

Myself, I actually ended up going with a graphic designer acquaintance who is working his way into the industry.....he has a few weddings under his belt, has a great visual eye, and is charging 1/2 the price of most so-called professionals. I thought his work was clearly the best out of anyone else I met with. In a couple of years he will be charging quite a bit more....but right now, he's mostly running on talent and ambition. If affordability is what the OP is looking for, I would look into something similar.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: