View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #93
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
This seems like a bit of a generalization. You haven't had any bad employees who have had post secondary education? I have worked with many employees who don't have a degree who out perform their peers. There is a reason why big multinational corporations have decided college degrees aren't needed for jobs anymore.
This comment is a bit of a generalization as well. Minimum qualifications have shifted and don't ask for specifics in education or certification. They instead focus on specific skills or functions where an expertise can be displayed. This is more of a legal thing than it is a shift in attitudes. Look at preferred experience to see where the true filters apply. Given two equal candidates, the one with the highest degree will filter/score higher and almost always win the competition (yes, that is a generalization).

I actually agree with you on what you are saying. Degrees are over-rated. My best employee does not have a degree. He is extremely bright and scores incredibly high on the emotional intelligence index. He could have a really go places... if he only had a degree. He got his foot in the door and progressed very far. But if he wants to go anywhere in management, he needs the degree and likely a graduate degree. It sucks, but that is the competition he is going to face trying to step up into senior management and having any aspirations on the C suite. But that is the way the system is stacked up and what people have to live with.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote