View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #2524
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
You don't get an attaboy in a zero sum business for holding onto an extremely valuable asset until it's turned toxic. There's no 'nod' to give to watching bennett put up 3 straight sub 30 point seasons and not trying to capitalize on his draft pedigree and get an upgrade on him. That's what a bad GM does; hold onto a player long after his value has declined.

You get attaboys for correctly determining the value and likelihood of a player turning into what you thought you were getting, and moving him for value when it doesn't look like he'll be that player. Good organizations cut bait, bad organizations hold on because good organizations can evaluate talent effectively and bad ones can't.

You trade David Rundblad for a first rounder. You trade Cam Barker for an elite prospect. You trade Erik Johnson for an elite prospect.

You don't hold onto Yakupov.

With the addition of Lucic, the Flames have committed to a 4th line left wing for term and salary. Unfortunately, 4th line left wing is where Bennett should be so there's a logjam. I know you won't agree, but 2 years ago you didn't agree that Bennett was an average 3rd liner either and now it's something 'most of us' see. Well, some of 'us' arrived at this conclusion awhile ago and others resisted it for years at this point.

The Flames should be actively trying to move Bennett and a combination of other assets right now to address the massive second line RW/C deficiency in the lineup. They should try to capitalize on whatever league wild value Bennett is perceived to have at this point, because other than taking penalties, several absolute backbreakers, he's not having much of an impact on the actual games.

The Flames have already held on too long to get a major bluechipper back. That was the original point of this thread. I don't want the thrust of this thread to be "the Flames held on too long to count sam bennett as a positive asset at all" which is probably the case in another sub 30 point season that sees him finish top 10-20 in minor penalties at 13 minutes a game.
You can certainly think that way.

It's a pretty cut and dried (and depressing) way to look at things in my mind.

The Flames are trying to win now, and have been for a few years. Trading their 7th best forward out of some doctrine for futures in a window doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Beyond that ... you don't find words like toxic a little over the top?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote