View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #44
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Anyways, that's my "hot take." FWIW.
Well, Jarome has donated some money to the local Minor Hockey Association in the past. I think your point is somewhat reasonable- however, there are currently 6 sheets of ice in St. Albert: 1 is sponsored by Go Auto, 1 is named for Mark Messier (also from St. A) and one is named for Troy Murray (also St. A). The arena that is getting Jarome's name just has a generic name of the community that it sits adjacent to, so it's not as if Jarome is taking the honor from a past hockey booster in the community.

On the larger, though it does seem appropriate to honor the many volunteers that make minor hockey possible, I think it comes down to the kids on the other side of the equation: if they can be inspired thinking that hockey legends like messier, murray, or iginla skated on the very same ice, changed in the very same dressing rooms as they do now, while making it all the way to the NHL- that is a powerful feeling. The same inspiration is much harder to draw from a volunteer's name. If I'm not mistaken, the dressing rooms at the bigger arena have been named for local hockey boosters from years past so there is that small honor.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote