View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #42
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do think Iggy has a little left in the tank and he showed it when he played with LA at the end of the 16-17 season.

I know a lot of people like to point to his time in Colorado and say negative things about him and the team, but I don't know if its an accurate description when looking at things from HIS perspective.

I believe he was offered a 4 year deal from NY Islanders and a 3 year deal from Colorado. He wanted to stay in Boston and Boston wanted him, he came off a 30 goal season and a President's Trophy there. Right or wrong, he felt Colorado offered a better chance to win than the Islanders, who were in the midst of non stop ownership issues, arena issues and general disaster.

Colorado the year before he signed won their division, had 100+ points, had an absolute stud of a center in MacKinnon who won the Calder at a super young age, had goalie who was a finalist for the Vezina with 40+ wins, had other quality young players and more.

The coach, Patrick Roy won the Jack Adams that year and the GM is Joe Sakic. By any measure of hockey knowledge this should have been a team on the upward trajectory, perhaps not a shoe in to win a cup, but certainty not a history making run of complete hot garbage.

You have all of the above, including some of the biggest and most successful names of the game, players YOU have played against and with and had success with at the Olympics calling you. What would you do? It didn't work out but if any fan on this board has the capabilities to pick the top teams to be bottom feeders, than show us your betting tickets and bet the farm.

He probably won't get a contract if he is indeed trying to get one but best of luck. It's not so much that HE can't play the game anymore, it's that the game has changed in ways that doesn't allow for much in the way of older players. Look at contracts now. Previously players hit UFA status at what? 30, 31? Now if somebody signs a 31 year old to a big contract that GM is out of touch.

Best of luck Iggy!!! One of your biggest fans now and always.
Thx for the memories!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote