View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #983
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
How has this setup worked for you? I've been debating getting a plex pass, I already use this a ton for movies so I'm familiar with and like the program, and then using a similar setup to what you just described. I'm in the same boat that the wife has to be able to use this with ease and not too much trouble shooting.
Overall it's worked quite well - no regrets whatsoever in cutting the cord. I supplemented the above with a SportsNet subscription which was cut the moment we lost to Colorado. Admittedly, my ability to watch sports is rather limited but frankly life with small kids has largely made that irrelevant anyways. if I really want to watch an event I'll just pay TSN/SN/DAZN for the month the event is on.

Wife acceptance factor (WAF) is good - program up all her shows, show her how to find them (which is easy) and you're set. The big sell to her is how Plex removes commercials - she loves that. The only thing is to ensure things actually record when they're supposed to which has not worked when something has crashed or the guide glitches.

Probably the buggest WAF glitch was getting a new Vizio TV. For some reason the Vizio plex client doesn't support Live TV - so no watching Live TV, even if it's just CBC. I hooked up an old Amazon TV box to it to be able to run the HDHomerun client - but then the single remote factor went raising the WAF...

OTA signal is great - nice clean uncompressed signal. Still amazed this little $25 mouse pad looking thing works as well as it does. Hardest part is finding adhesive that doesn't melt in a SW facing window. Having the house wired for ethernet has helped a lot - not sure how well this would work wirelessly.

Recordings off the HDHomeRun are actually outstanding - 3GB for a 1920x1080 h.264 1 hr episode. I upgraded to a higher HDHomerun to be able to record in this resolution. It eats up disk space fast though, you have to be on top of deleting things. I'd recommend 2 tuners at a minimum though. Time to buy a new drive for the NAS though...

Going through the guide, you realize how few network TV shows are worth watching, further reinforcing my decision to cut the cord... If anything I find myself watching YouTube more and more, and am giving the Premium version of that a go....ahhhh....no more irritating commercials..... Between that and Netflix and Prime Video - I'm set for streaming services.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 07-01-2019 at 09:52 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post: