Thread: Guild Wars 2
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
I don't think even bio-ware would argue Illum was a failure... but was it their fault? What do suppose makes this open world PVP any different? I'm not sure I know what bio-ware could have done differently ... if people decide that instead of fighting that standing in large groups and trading kills is the best way to get the rewards that were intended to motivate players to pvp, what can dev's do? ... Why can't this same thing happen in GW2.

Not trying to be snarky, but I have read up on GW2 much and maybe there is a fundamental difference I am not aware of. It sounds cool... but so did Illum before it was played. The dev's never imagined the players would do what they did... is it possible for any dev team to truly make a world pvp environment go as intended?

GW2 will be interesting to watch.
Fair comment.

One of the cool things about GW2 open PvP is that they are basing it off the similar DAoC model, which has actually been proven to work.

However, there are some fundamental difference between what Ilum is and what WvW is. First off, lets start with the game engine. One of Ilum's problems was the fact that most people, if there were 15-20+ people on your screen, you would suffer game crippling lag. I would frequently get 4-5 FPS on Ilum (no word of a lie).

Ilum had 2 factions, WvW has 3. It is server vs. server vs. server - so 3 servers are always pitted against eachother.

This addresses things two fold - one, with Ilum there were massive imbalances between Sith & Jedi, with Sith outnumbering Jedi on most servers 3/4 to 1. Two, having three factions will be a lot better than two, as even if there are not as many people in A and B than C, they can group up together. There are also caps on the number of people in WvW at the same time, so there should be some balance in that respect. I think Population won't be too much of an issue, but we'll see.

Another thing, the WvW map is 100x larger than Ilum. No word of a lie. 100x.

Reward system - the rewards in Ilum - there was zero incentive for actually capturing and holding certain objectives. There is in GW2 (stat & farming buffs for factions).

Amount of objectives, there are tons of capture points -and it will not be beneficial to simply zerg an objective the way it is built. They've provided a premium on defense (with cannons, arrow carts, trebs, catapults) - like in real life. Likely you're going to be encouraged to run in small groups or as a guild. If you zerg an objective, an enemy may hit 3 of yours at the same time.

Character comp / team synergy. The way GW2 looks is that variety is going to significantly help team fights. So team composition is going to be very important. Again, this is getting away from the killing of the zerg mentality that persisted in Swtor.

I don't think they're going to have a valor system close to what SWTOR did which encouraged the whole kill trading crap. I think it also developed too because of how sh*tty Ilum was overall when no one was coming and going. I think you're going to see a difference with the OBJECTIVE based PvP as opposed to the whole incentive Swtor had with dailies and kill trading.

Remember a very similar system worked in DAoC to great success.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at how it all develops. But I'm totally hearing you on how you are skeptical, you should be with some of the recent failures of recent MMORPGS. At least this isn't an EA title.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote