Thread: Draft Re-caps
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Draft Re-caps

Use this thread to re-cap your draft and how you feel about it.

Here's the Wild re-cap.

#8 - Quinn Hughes.
I felt that I'd be choosing between Evan Bouchard and Noah Dobson here, with an outside chance that Wahlmstrom would also drop. I had also been considering drafting Kotkaniemi who seems to be getting a late push. I didn't really consider Hughes a possibility here who I had solidly in #5 on my list. So pleased to see him drop. We see him as a tremendous offensive dman in the future

#9 - Oliver Wahlmstrom.
Had said if Dobson was available here I would take him, but with Hughes a surprise at 8, Wahlmstrom was still sitting there too, and I liked the idea of drafting a F and a D with these two top 10 picks. I had Wahlmstrom 6 on my board, after moving Boqvist down my list. We see him as one of the most offensive forward in the draft

#15 - Grigori Denisenko
Looking at my board I was hoping one of Veleno or Farabee would drop, or perhaps even Hayton. But I could see that the way things could easily fall is that the guy who would be there for me was Wilde. I had him officially 15 on my list, but also flagged as someone I just didn't want. So then it became a choice between Kupari, Kravtsov or Grigori. I think Grigori is a reach here and could go in the 20s, but I like his aggression and upside. And I've done well in the past with Russians.

# 24 - Ryan Merkley
Had a few guys in mind here, including Merkley but also Bokk - who would go a few spots ahead. So with him off the board I take a home run swing with Merkley who has some of the most upside in the entire draft but also the most risk. Could easily see him tumble huge in the NHL draft, but if that's the case I'll hang on to him and see if he sorts himself out. I'm happy to get a guy with this ceiling here

#25 Ty Dellandra.
This pick came down to Dellandra or Miller but Dellandra has also been moving up the lists and shows a lot of strong offensive attributes. Officially I had him going 29 but moved him up over guys I feel don't have upside

#30 Akil Thomas
Didn't want this guy but had him scored at 22 on my list, with a flag not to take him. But with him available at 30 it seems like simply too much value to pass up.

#35 Jacob Olofsson
At this point in the draft it seems like a lot of the forwards lack upside offensively but Olofsson is a guy that some feel has some untapped potential in that regard. Had him slotted around 30 so this seemed like a good place to take him. Was also considering Addison here but decided to risk seeing if he would drop to me in the 40s

#44 Cale Addison
And he did. Really happy about this pick as I think this kid has huge upside. Comparisons to Letang excite me.

#46 Filip Hallander
Another guy I didn't really want but noted that Button has him ranked #21 and he knows more than me so...

Later picks

#64 Nicolas Beaudin - surprised he was available here. Had him #42 on my list.
#78 Matej Pekar - had him tagged as a riser and this seemed like the chance to take him.
#90 Ivan Morozov - picked a guy already gone here so had to scramble. Very flawed player but with high ceiling
#96 Olof Lindbolm - I like to grab one goalie at least and this was the best left
#118 Niklai Kovalenko - Sun of the former NHLer has been getting a bit of attention on some lists. Could see him going higher or much lower or not at all

Fun draft and we got through in under 3 hours. Great work by everyone

Players will be added to roster pages in the coming days
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: