View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #134
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Why not darts, bowling, snooker, crib then? I do understand that curling etc. requires skill and practice. I don't understand how could a gold medal in curling hold the same value as gold medal in skiing, speed-skating, hockey etc. The fundamental Olympic "Citius. Altius. Fortius" principle is broken here.

Didn't mean to re-open an old debate. It's included, because there's enough people like to watch it on TV. Like I said, I couldn't stop thinking about this inequality while watching the cross-country skiing relay. The real winter competitive sport demonstrating athletes' power, level of preparation, exhaustion, show of physical and mental toughness, the drama - everything. Compared to a pleasant recreational activity such as curling...
Well if you wan too look for negatives in a sport, you can find them. Although I am not really enthused by curling unless its the gold medal final and Canada is in it, there are questionable aspects in all sports. .

CC skiing is not without its warts, certainly the medal tables in skiing are influenced by the multi million dollar funding and elite medical assistance that is the key to winning these endurance sports(there have been many doping scandals). I can't help being cynical about the way certain countries dominate cross country skiing and it may not be as "heroic" as you see it. One of the things that is abused is the notion of medical exemptions that allow the use of otherwise banned substances.

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2016/08/...-sports-elite/

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-18-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote