View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 02:34 AM   #1
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sean Monahan’s biggest offseason

He is only 24. He took a huge step in the first half of the season, and still ended up beating his career year by 18 points.

This is all nice and good, but where did he disappear in the second half of the season? My answer is he didn’t, the Flames’ transition game did. A lot of the first line’s offense was from gaining the offensive zone with speed and/or creating odd man rush opportunities. It in turn created the exact same effect the Colorado series had on the Flames. Teams would back up, and give pucks away by dumping them in after defending. They would do it because they were tired, and defenders were backing off trying to play mistake free hockey. The problem I have with that sort of hockey is that it’s Gulutzan hockey. Every mistake is so much more meaningful, and so much more deflating to the team when you try to be perfect. What broke the Flames in both the Anaheim series and the Avs series was momentum, once they Flames lost it they couldn’t get it back.

Back to Monahan, can he be better? Absolutely! Monahan lacks speed, physicality, a mean streak, and a bit of defensive awareness. Judging from Conroy’s comments he will be working most of the summer on his skating, and I don’t have any doubt it will be much improved because of the type of person he is. Of course there is a measure of speculation on my part, but he is a guy that just shrugged off rehab after 4 surgeries last off season. He did it and he got better. As far as a mean streak, well that’s just not the type of player he is. He is just too nice of a guy to punch someone in the face with any sort of consistency. As far as physical play, he can hold his own as long as he doesn’t let defenders off the hook and finishes checks. In terms of defensive awareness, he is getting better. He took strides in that department this year, by playing against the other teams first lines for part of the season. There is definitely a lot to work on though.

One thing is for certain, in order to find out what we really have in Monahan(and to an extant in Gaudreau) is to split him from Gaudreau for a few games. There were several experiments, but neither has lasted for more than a couple of periods or a game. I think that with a good offseason both Monahan and Gaudreau will have what it takes to carry their own lines. On the other hand, how often were the Sedins split up? But this management group sure likes the word options when it comes to potential lineups.

Finally, I am sure there are holes in some of the points I made, but I am hoping the discussion would go more towards your thoughts on what Monahan has to do to join the Elite #1 centre club, and does he have it in him in your opinion?
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post: