View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #109
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
So interesting tidbit to share about my Orbi, the RBK 50 which is the fastest one they have. It comes with a main unit and a satellite unit. It dawned on me that I may never actually be connecting to the satellite unit, so I tested it out. Turns out that even in my new home which is almost 2400 sq feet, I never leave the main router. I tested it out as extreme as I could last night, I put my router in the basement where the smart panel is behind my water heater. This is facing the front of the house. So then I put the satellite top floor opposite end. 2 floors and across the house. Even then I was still on the router and not being handed off.

So there's 2 things about it. 1) that's annoying. 2) it isn't a "problem" because I'm still getting full bars and 170+ up and down on my 150 plan.

I feel like I overpaid for something the Archer C4000 could do for half the price.
I had mentioned this previously in the other thread that the orbi is not a mesh system and instead a satellite system. Handoff is less aggressive and only kicks in when needed which with a 150mb plan would probably be close to never unless your house was cement.

Traditional mesh systems like the velop, deco, Lyra etc hand off based on signal strength where the orbi is considerably less agressive due to the main node being the powerhouse vs the satellite node.

Like the other post my velop steers the traffic to the closest node about 9/10 times. When I had my orbi I had similar Behavior that you had.