View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So that's $76 000, ($85 000 if you want "full self driving"). Yes, it has unbeatable performance for the price. But it's still a high price. Maybe 5% of car buyers could afford it? And the cheapest one currently looks like it is $56 000
https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/model3/design#battery

That has a range of 400km, which is about 300km in winter. Which gets back to my point. It's still expensive for most people, and a range that leaves you wondering if it is gong to be a PITA to own.

Until they can produce ev's in the price range of $20-40k with ranges of 500km+, it's going to be a tough sell for most average car buyers. And that problem all comes down to battery tech. Everything else is there, the motors, power delivery etc.
Yes, still a high price for sure. Way beyond what I'm willing to spend on a vehicle, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good value. I really want self-driving tech, but I don't see any other brands that do it as well as Tesla no matter the price. Seems like Hyundai is moving along well on self-driving stuff as is Mercedes, but I think Tesla is still the best.

The 0-60 is where you're getting incredible value. That's honestly super-car territory. Like, you shouldn't be getting that performance for that cheap.

I also think these are best as second cars, but literally every person in my peer group has at least two cars. When you have two adults in a house working, two cars is basically a given. No reason why this couldn't be a daily driver and even suitable for going to Banff for the day/weekend, while your other car would be better for summer road tripping. TBH, this car is too small for a summer road trip vehicle, anyway, so the range isn't a big deal. Plus, you'd have to be a total dope to be incapable of planning a charge or two if you did want to go away with it. I can't imagine it would be hard to figure out.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote