View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #50
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
That seems rather extreme, but I suppose your perception of a long commute is different than mine as we have been living with a 30km+ (one way) for work for a long long time. A 15-25 minute drive (weather/traffic dependent) for my son to drive school seems like a pretty reasonable trip to me and wouldn't require us to rent a NW apt for him, lol.
I wanted to buy in Varsity before I bought my current place.

I'd argue Varsity has been surrounded by some of the most substantial upgrades to the area in comparison to many other Calgary communities due to the University upgrades, University city and upgrades to surrounding neighborhoods like Montgomery. If it isn't upgraded yet in Varsity, I assume it'll get upgrades sooner rather than later.

It's not directly by Fish Creek, but the parks along the river systems like Edworthy, via Bowmont are really amazing as well. There's weird "secret look out points" all over that community that are awesome and range in variety from down town, river view, COP to mountain views. You can also go north towards Nose Hill if that's your type of biking. There's little forests, weird little ponds, views and elevation. Heck I've seen people para ski/para snowboard on Nose Hill in the winter and I knew a few people in the area who love biking those spaces in all 4 seasons. Varsity is actually a super underrated area to bike around from IMO. At worst, a 10 minute drive to jump start your riding trip could give you the opportunity to explore even more.

You have Crowchild South as your major commute artery and you also have 16th Avenue as a bypass if required. You're relatively close to the transit stations for the one going to MRU.

Basic shopping and groceries are relatively close by with University City turning into a quiet version of Kensington/Bridgeland/downtown/17th Ave space for eating out/casual day.

You're close to the hospital. Rocky view is only 15-20 minutes further if the wait times at Foothills are a bit long.

Your exit to the mountains is relatively close via 16th Ave. Edworthy and U of C campus has really nice Malus apple blossoms in the spring that many love taking pictures of (reminiscent of cherry blossoms).

It's a great place to be and it's typically around 25 mins or less to most major places in the city. Personally, most of my friends and family are in the NW/SW/Central/Cochrane/Airdrie, so that's where I approximately stayed. I personally wouldn't enjoy the SE or deep SW unless I was always 10 minutes or less to at least half a dozen friends that I met with regularly.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote