View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 PM   #1059
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC, Bennett takes a lot of minor penalties when he is not 'on' offensively. You watch him play during these stretches, and it isn't difficult to see him 'trying to do too much' out there. This is a confidence issue.

Anybody on this board wants to claim that Bennett isn't talented? I don't think you can make that claim without bias. What Bennett needs is both confidence and consistency in his game. There are games even this past season where he was either the best Flame on the stats sheet, or the best Flame 'by the eye test', or even both. There were games where he was the worst.

Gulutzan was not an adequate coach. Cameron was not an adequate coach for the forwards. That's why they were both fired, and why this place has had long, drawn-out arguments about them for 1.5 seasons.

Let's have the patience to see what Peters does with Bennett.

Here is a thought. Look at Bennett's development in Hartley's time with him - short, I know - and see if people thought that Bennett was a 'bust'. I thought Bennett was on a very clear trajectory. Hartley out, Gulutzan in, and suddenly Bennett became a bust?

Anyone follow hockey long enough to see how certain players have bad years under a certain coach, and suddenly rebound under another coach (or organization) playing with different linemates and/or different circumstances? Again, Bennett has the TALENT to get there. He has the talent even in this 'new' NHL where speed matters. He is also feisty and damn gritty, and he is absolutely incredible along the boards and in one-on-one battles.

Let's actually have some patience and possibly see how he responds under a legitimate coaching staff.

edit: sorry for the line spacing - there is only one carriage return between paragraphs here, but for some reason, it is coming out as two.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: