View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 12:52 AM   #1057
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Where do you get the stats for performance with various linemates?

The eye test in December-ish timeframe to me showed that Bennett when on a line with Jagr were a very solid and dangerous third line. I know everybody talked about Jagr sucking wind but the reality is that he was on ice for 15 GF and 6 GA. No other Flames player had that kind of differential.

I also know that Bennett played a lot with Hathaway and we all love his energy but the guy is not offensively gifted in any way.

I hear the term apologists thrown out but there is a big difference between old Jagr and Hathaway.

You can not honestly say that Bennett was a focus of Gulutzan, whereas he was of Hartley.

And you really can not say that Bennett had consistent linemates, game in and game out, in a sufficient amount of aggregated time that gave him an opportunity to succeed.

A good coach will recognize his proven players and his players of potential and develop a plan that eventually works to maximize the overall effectiveness of the team. This is one area where Gully was out of his depth.

Hartley and Troy Ward were both teachers, and I don’t know what Gulutzan and Huska were.

I have a lot of optimism for Bennett because frankly I think he was managed well his first year, not so well the last 2, and I think he definitely needs and can benefit from good coaching. And there is nothing wrong with a young guy needing help to figure out how to put it all together. Players are not generally paid entirely to succeed in any circumstance on their own, irrespective of the situation they are put in.

I think he is potentially a solid asset and yes, the last 2 years he had a crap coach. I really did not see anything from Gulutzan indicating that he was focused on getting the most from Bennett

I really hope that Peters is as good as he sounded in his first interviews here and not as good as his results in Carolina.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: