View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 10:36 PM   #11907
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I’m reasonably sure Sutter was also aware of the expansion draft, or at least considered it.

When I suggested he saw something here it had to do, more so, with the next 2-3 years, not just the next 6 months. I think he sees a core of Lindholm, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Dube, Backlund, Gio, Tanev, Hanifin, Anderson, Valamaki, Markstrom that he can mold. There may be some names, plus or minus, in there but I do believe he believes the blueprint is there. I know that is unfashionable to say right now, but i think the organization thinks they are closer to competing than they are rebuilding.
Interesting take, but I’m in the opposite camp. I think he came out of retirement hoping to win a Stanley Cup for the Flames in the next 2-3 years. I think he saw a team with some tantalizing pieces that he thought just needed to play with a little more urgency and pace. Now that he’s experienced it himself, he’s realized that they’re just a naturally slow team that can’t check and can’t play at a desirable pace just like the previous coaches. Their finishing ability is also abysmal, but that’s been a common theme now for years now so that’s no surprise. I’m not a massive Sutter fan like many posters on CP, but I actually do find his honesty kind of refreshing. When he calls out players for being too slow or for not finishing, it kind of reinforces the things I’ve been rambling on CP for years.