View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #11905
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Except that things could look incredibly different next season especially with an expansion draft and some soon to be expiring contracts. If he saw something in this team this year, then he must have had belief in this year’s team, because there’s no guarantee a Gaudreau or Monahan or Giordano or a Tkachuk would still be here next season. I think Darryl, like everybody else who saw this team on paper, thought gee, this team seems to have everything top to bottom, they just need to start playing with some more urgency and accountability and they’ll be fine. Then when he got here, he quickly realized that it’s all just smoke and mirrors and it’s not a very good team at all.

Here are some quotes from Sutter the day he was hired:

"I think that this team has as good an opportunity as anybody to make the playoffs and do well in the playoffs”

"In order to be a playoff team, you need to play playoff hockey every night. “

"We're going to get this straightened out and get the most out of everybody."

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5939621

Now here’s a quote from Treliving:

"Your job as a manager is to take your cues from the team," Treliving said. "I knew we needed to make a change, and there was only one guy we needed to have...This team needs Darryl and what he can bring."

Sounds like Sutter and especially Treliving wanted to make this move specifically to fix “this team” aka 2020-21 Flames.
I’m reasonably sure Sutter was also aware of the expansion draft, or at least considered it.

When I suggested he saw something here it had to do, more so, with the next 2-3 years, not just the next 6 months. I think he sees a core of Lindholm, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Dube, Backlund, Gio, Tanev, Hanifin, Anderson, Valamaki, Markstrom that he can mold. There may be some names, plus or minus, in there but I do believe he believes the blueprint is there. I know that is unfashionable to say right now, but i think the organization thinks they are closer to competing than they are rebuilding.

Last edited by TOfan; 05-08-2021 at 09:45 PM.