Thread: 2020 Formula 1
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #311
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I dont hate on Hamilton. Just like Schumacher you gotta be a bit of a jerk when you're King. But he had a chance to lift off acceleration for a split second to avoid contact regardless of how hard his wheel is turned. And if it wasn't Hamiltons fault why did he get a 5 second penalty. Clearly the officials thought he was in the wrong as well.

Ah well, Albon looks like he's going to be a good one. The fact he can carry enough speed on the outside to even get into a passing position is a talent in of itself. And he's good at it. Take these early blunders and get that thick skin champs have.
According to this he had no throttle input all the way around the corner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...incident_with/

Hamilton got a penalty because the rules were interpreted as written. But the reality is at that point there is very little that can be done to take a tighter line through the corner, other than anticipating before the corner he was going to lose, and backing off way before. But nobody wants to see a racing driver do that.

Quote:
Hamilton maintains that, unlike Brazil, this was a racing incident.

“First of all I have a huge amount of respect for Alex — he’s a super talented young man, I don’t have any bad blood or bad feelings towards him whatsoever,” the World Champ is quoted by Racer.

“In Brazil you saw I came straight to him, that was wholeheartedly my mistake and my problem and tried to face it with dignity.

“I think today was in my opinion a racing incident.

“He was on a much better tyre, I entered the corner, committed in blocking, but obviously I was defending the position.

“I took the corner as normal, I had quite a lot of lock on to get around the corner.

“The track drops away as you go through the corner so a lot of people understeer through there; however I didn’t get on the power, I needed to decrease my speed, and he jumped on the power.

“He still had like a car’s width to the left of him and ultimately we touched.
“I think it’s unfortunate that we collided — I wouldn’t want to ever collide with anybody.

“But I have to respect the decision the stewards did take because I don’t think you can say otherwise about it.

Hamilton revealed he has already apologized to Albon for the incident, but insists it was nothing more than a “racing” one.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...exander-albon/

He accepts the ruling, he wasn't pissy about anything, but thinks it was a racing incident, and I kind of have to agree because their really wasn't anything more he could have done. It was unfortunate, but I'd rather see hard racing and some of these things happen, than no contact races where everyone is overly cautious.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote