View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #37
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's true that it's a two pronged problem. However while I think this team needs to work on team defense, it's something that mostly likely can be improved upon with good coaching and development. On the other hand, I don't see the goaltending improving with Smith as the #1. Even when he's making he saves, he looks shaky out there this year. The numbers may point to something more stable, but he doesn't have the body language of someone who you can rely on. He's doing that Elliot / Hiller thing where you just don't know what you're going to get. Stability is one of the most important things in a #1.

I think we're in a similar situation like with Gulutzan last year. We can wait and preach patience...and watch this team under perform one more time. Or we can act. The reality is that the action needed to have been taken in the off season to truly remedy this, but action can still be taken now before another season is wasted. This time of the year, it probably means you have to overpay, but that's the reality the Flames find themselves in.

At the very least, it's time to start leaning on Rittich more. He may not be the #1, but perhaps he can be the #1B until a more permanent solution is found.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: