Thread: [PGT] Avs 6 Flames 2
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 AM   #315
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Today may the most important day of the season for this group. Peters doesn't strike me as a rah rah or toss-the-stick-into-the-stands type of guy. He's an Xs and Os coach. And that's exactly what this team needs right now. With travel days now between each game moving forward, today is probably the last time either coach can make a meaningful adjustment to their game plan and structure.

I'm encouraged that Peters post-game singled out what I agree is the single biggest thing killing this team right now: transition. Avs exit their zone enter the offensive zone with tons of speed. The Flames have none of it. It's tough to generate speed when you are slumping, which the Flames have been for some time (we all know it). So trying to simply improve 'intensity' I believe (and hopefully Peters agrees) is fool's errand. The Flames should focus on eliminating the Avs speed and frustrating them, and try to get this to be a much tighter, closer game.

I said it after game 2 and no one really responded. I think the Avs transition (whole game really) runs through MacKinnon, and I would shadow him NJ Devils trap-era style. Guys who are struggling offensively, like Lindholm, Ryan and even Backlund, could find a role while the Flames have the puck simply following McKinnon around (the 'shadow'). He should NEVER be open when the Avs gain possession from the Flames' blue line out. No more full speed breaks through the neutral zone. Like I said before, I think this would end up frustrating the Avs star, who has shown he can easily let his emotion get head of him. And I also believe, that with the Avs, when you cut off the head, the snake's body will quickly die.

I think the winner of game 5 will ultimately win the series, and I think that will be Calgary. The Avs probably will win the next game, but the tempo should change dramatically. I just don't see the Avs winning all 3 home games though, and I don't see them winning in a game 7 if it goes that far. Hope I'm right.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post: