View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #1098
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Less than 5% of fortune 500 companies have a female chief executive. Men control over 95% of those companies. Men control 83% of board seats for those same companies. Men account for only 40% of degrees earned, yet this disparity in leadership exists. But men are getting the raw deal?
It's likely we're at, or soon will be at, a state where the average woman has better life circumstances than the average man, but where the very top is still dominated by men. There's nothing at all incompatible about the two. Stop thinking of a block labelled 'male' stacked on top of a block labelled 'female'. Instead, think of an enormous jar of sand, some of the grains blue and some pink. The bottom stratta is bluish purple, the middle reddish purple, and the upper strata shading to blue. The fact the blue grains in the lower half of the jar share the same colour as the grains at the top is no meaningful benefit to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
On the contrary. I think the UofT is one of the finest institutions on the planet, which is why I am so surprised at them not making a statement on Peterson's crusade to "represent the unrepresented" in society. Universities live and die on their reputation and most don't like seeing theirs soiled by their own, which is what I am questioning of UofT. I'm wondering how happy they are to have Peterson on his book tour, given the subject matter he is pushing? The faculty must be thrilled with the association.
Isn't the whole point of tenure to protect professors from just that kind of pressure? How many statements do you think MIT would have released about Noam Chomsky if they took the approach you're advocating the U of T take with Peterson?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-20-2018 at 08:32 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote