View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 01:00 AM   #1091
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No, as that wouldn't be appropriate. I am not attacking another institution, but what I am suggesting is that ANY institution worth a #### would challenge any faculty member working outside the protections of academic freedom. I will question the faculty from another for not upholding the very academic standards held by almost every institution in academia. Peterson is working beyond the protections of his position, and as a result, leaves himself open to criticism. Or do you disagree with that?
It's probably best to leave your institution out of the discussion then. Your post does come across as suggesting that the UofT doesn't measure up to the standards of "a real college or university" and you directly state that the faculty there should be embarrassed while stating that at your institution Peterson would not only be "ripped to shreds" but that it would be as easy as "fish in a barrel."

That seems very much as though you are undermining the UofT partly as a means to detract from Peterson's credentials while hyping up your own credentials in comparison and trying to legitimize your view of him as "a light weight." Yet, you're not willing to share which institution it is that you represent that has such high standards you are associated with?

If your institution does have high standards, I would guess that not sharing its name is then a result of the fact that your engagement here would not be becoming of that institution and may itself be ripped to shreds by your peers.

I don't disagree at all that you should be able to attack Peterson's views and his arguments, but you should leave institutional comparisons out of it unless you are willing to stand behind them openly.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: