View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #126
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t know why you need an intellectual heavyweight to debate Peterson, considering he’s not one himself (at least in the realms of philosophy, culture, history, and politics, all of which he spends the majority of his time talking about).
Yet again, Pepsifree tries to take it upon himself to declare outright, as if it were self-evident, who the intellectual heavyweights are and aren't, in a variety of areas on which he himself has no expertise. When is it going to get through to you that you're not competent to make these types of claims?

As for this...

Quote:
In addition to his vague reference to neo-Marxist thought, Peterson neither analyzes the concept of “political correctness” (PC) nor defines it to any degree in his reflections on the topic. Perhaps what he means is that to be PC is to be authoritarian: that is, maybe he thinks political correctness is reducible to authoritarianism.
I mean, seriously? The below video, and extracts thereof, and memes with quotes, have been all over the place on social media and especially political twitter for about a year. Whether you agree with him or not, you'd have to be either utterly disinterested in these topics (for which I couldn't blame anyone), living in an ideological bubble, or dishonest, to take the position that he doesn't explain what he's criticizing in this area:

He's perfectly clear. Why not take his actual position and point out the flaws in it and the scholarship he doesn't acknowledge? They're there. Why not explain how he's attacking an oversimplification with an oversimplification? It's possible to do. Just laziness, borne of the comfort that intellectually mediocre people who already agree with you (and either can't or don't want to think very hard) will read what you're saying and nod along.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: