View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #36
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think you are focusing too much on numbers. let's use your best case scenario, Lucic. did you know that Lucic scored 19 points in 60 some games in his draft year. those aren't gaudy numbers. did you know that he wasn't point per game in junior the year after either? his top goal scoring year in junior was 30 but hey, he also scored 30 in the NHL.

One thing a lot of fans don't seem to notice is that bigger players often have both their games and their points translate more easily to the NHL. The small, massive point producing players in junior often can't translate their numbers. Guys like Gaudreau are the exception not the norm. But if you look at the stats closely of a lot of big guys who play a power game you'd be surprised that they weren't dominant point producers in junior but scores at a similar rate in junior and pro. Take Getzlaf for example, he didn't lead junior in scoring even though he had size, strength and skill. in fact he scored at the same rate or better in the NHL. Lucic is another example of this. if you or I look closely we could probably find others.

so to me Smith's numbers aren't concerning at all. powerforwards don't develop as quickly as smaller players and their games readily translate to the NHL because with a little more muscle they can out power most NHLers as easily as they did the kids in junior.

anyone else with me?

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-20-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: