View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #39
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedogger View Post
So what do parents on this board do to keep their children safe from predators like this? Our kids are 3 & 5 right now.

I realize that the probability of stranger abduction is extremely low. I am the first one that doesn't want to scare the crap out of my kids. Equally important to spend time on things that are really likely to be a danger to them.

As a parent, I spend a lot of time on car safety with my young kids. Don't run out on the road, look before you cross, hold dad's hand in the parking lot and so on. I feel this is one of their most probable dangers they face.

We do a little bit around the area of kidnapping. We teach them to not let anyone take them. They are to scream and yell and kick etc if anyone tries to take them. If the person knows the password, its okay to go with them. Otherwise they are to put up a fight. They know both our phone numbers too. We usually discuss this once a month. Another big safety thing is that it is never okay for secrets. No other adult should tell them to keep a secret between us and them. That's about it. Pretty depressing we even feel motivated to go this far.

Something like this might be considered once they are in school full time.
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/gtu10.html
This is a tough one. We have our kid in Tae Kwan Do, and when she sometimes wants to quit, i want to tell her about stories like this, but I can't. I just keep telling her the world isn't as safe as she might think it is, and knowing how to defend yourself is a good thing to know.