View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Hey CP,

I'm looking for a very cheap, very big TV to put in my bonus room 65"+ I'm not a TV snob and no very little about quality so I see a bunch of low cost TV's but I have no idea what is good and what is crap.
Look for deep black levels as to date that's still the most obvious issue in any TV's image reproduction. Screens that can resolve shadow detail in dark scenes while still painting an inky black will always pop in a light controlled viewing environment.

Most modern screens will have way more brightness than you'll ever need, but maybe be attentive to minimal screen reflectivity if you'll be viewing a room with windows or spotlights.

Budget a little extra for a proper calibration(either diy with a colorimeter or by a professional). Proper grayscale and contrast/brightness for your final viewing environment will comprise a huge portion of video reproduction accuracy.

OLED, like Plasma before it, is your best bet for PQ if you're going to use the screen responsibly. Image retention is a real, but preventable issue unless the intent is to be used for lots of static content (i.e. a compter monitor) in which case you would want an LED display with a PLS /IPS or equivalent panel.

Don't get fooled by fancy processing features. Most often the best results use the least amount of DSP. Raw performance reigns.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-18-2018 at 08:45 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: