View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #265
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had some down time, so here is my response to post #253:

Buffalo: This has been beaten to death, but we all know that Cozens or 8th OA would have to be in the deal. Since E. Staal was recently acquired, I would think that 8th OA would be more on the table than Cozens (Cozens probably will play bottom 6 minutes to get acclimated) - 2020 BUF 1st + Ristolainen (RD) + 2021 2nd (BUF) for Gaudreau (LW) and Jankowski (C)

Seems like an underwhelming return, but a future top 4 with Valimaki - Risto and Hanifin - Andersson would be a great top 4 for the next 5 years (at minimum, and assuming we re-sign Risto).

Montreal: Domi (C/LW)+ 2021 MON 1st/2nd (if MON makes playoffs, 1st, if not, 2021 2nd) + 2022 2nd/3rd (2022 2nd if MON misses playoffs in 2021, 2022 3rd if MON makes it in 2021) + Primeau (G) for Gaudreau (LW).

Primeau is going to waste his prime behind Price, signs point to Domi wanting out, and the Flames can get a prime pick IF Montreal make the playoffs in 2021. If not, a top goalie prospect, a C/LW that has a great edge in his game, and two 2nds is a decent return for an elite winger with 2 years left on his deal.

Detroit: Hard to find a realistic scenario for a team that is on the rebuild, but here it goes - Mantha (RW) + 2020 2nd (DET, basically a late 1st) + Hirose (LW/RW) for Gaudreau (LW) and Parsons (G).

This is contingent on assuming that Mantha wants to start winning RIGHT NOW, but he's also said in the past that he was accepting the rebuild in Detroit. If it wasn't for Mantha, then there would need to be Hronek+ or Anderssen++ instead of Mantha.

Ottawa: There are so many prospects to choose from with Ottawa, so I did it based on needs - 2020 1st (NYI) + Batherson (RW) + L. Brown (C)/Norris (C) for Gaudreau (LW) and Kylington (LD)

Probably the easiest deal of the bunch, Ottawa gains an elite forward to help with picks #3 and #5, and also the rest of the crew that Ottawa will deploy. If in fact Ottawa dealt with Calgary for Calgary's top end winger, Calgary would benefit from a 2020 1st and 2 grade A prospects from Ottawa. This would be a retool for Calgary, but if there was ever a need for NHL ready prospects, you look at Ottawa's farm system.

Florida: This is one that I found most difficult because these two don't look like good trading partners. So, I went with a big blockbuster: Gaudreau (LW) + Monahan (C) + Hanifin (LD) for Huberdeau (LW) + Barkov (C) Stralman (RD). This deal would require all 3 from Florida to remove their NMC/NTC's, but for the sake of this thread let's just assume that all 3 waive for Calgary.

Simply put, we are giving up the better defenseman for the better forward duo. Barkov, Huberdeau, and Lindholm have what it takes to be a dominant line in the NHL. The Flames lose out on Hanifin, but this benefits Florida in the sense that they are getting the potential top pairing defender in Hanifin to play with Ekblad. Plus, a grade 'A' coach like Quenneville would whip Hanifin into shape. And, they only downgrade their offense by a little. Keep in mind Dadonov could get re-signed and could do the same damage Hudler did with Gaudreau and Monahan in 2015, if not better. A big downside to this deal is locking up Barkov and Huberdeau to additional deals. Florida can get away with paying their players not as much as they should (because of no state tax), but I believe Barkov and Huberdeau would sign long term here if they saw some success. Stralman wasn't tried in Calgary, but he would be tried this time for 2 seasons. He's 34, but he still logged 21 minutes for Florida in 69 games last season. He still has some in the tank to be a decent 4/5 while we are using Valimaki and Kylington on the left side. Basically, I viewed it as Giordano - Andersson, Valimaki - Stralman and Kylington - RD.

Tampa Bay: Don't think the Lightning need a shake up, but they are in some upcoming cap trouble. This is my proposal based on that key fact: Cirelli and Killorn for Gaudreau (LW), (and maybe a mid pick and/or B-/C+prospect from the Flames)

The Lightning lose Cirelli, but only gain 2.3m in cap space and add Johnny Gaudreau. They'd probably still have to move Gourde or Johnson, but they can do that in another transaction to retain their two defenseman in Sergachev and Cernak (Cernak plays with Hedman, they'll want to keep him). Killorn and Cirelli are very familiar with each other and have tremendous chemistry. I think a top 6 of Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm and Killorn - Cirelli - Mangiapane would be be a great top 6. We'd be a hard two-way team to compete against. 5 of those 6 are great two-way players, maybe Monahan would follow suit. I thought about doing a deal with Stamkos, but I only thought of Stamkos and Gaudreau 1 for 1, but don't believe Tampa Bay would do that deal for just the little cap savings they'd get from it (and for a downgraded player, imo). Tampa Bay avoids having to get 3 potential offer sheets this season and lands a great 2 year rental at the only 67.5% of the cost (assuming Johnny's next contract is in the 8 digits).
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post: