View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #4040
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I know this post is a few days old, just reading back as I haven't been in this thread for a while. Do you think this only happens with black/white couples? My wife and I are interracial, white/Indian. I cant say that we have necessarily felt like this while we have been out in Calgary. The only place that we felt a little uneasy that I can think of was when we were out and about in Invermere, BC one time we felt like people were looking at us. The biggest think we have noticed is that strangers often assume that we are not together. Odd little things like if we are standing in line and someone calls next and we both walk up the clerk has sometime looked at us and said something like "sir, she was here first, your next". That has happened on a number of occasions, but we just find that funny.
I think it happens with every interracial couple, at least sometimes. I think the races do make a difference, as do locations. For example, when I had a Japanese girlfriend, we didn't get all that many cross looks. Same with dating a Hispanic woman.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like Calgary has a fairly large Indian and middle Eastern population, so I think that would help with the normalcy of that type of interracial relationship. I also found I got fewer cross looks in Calgary than in Lethbridge, because in Calgary it is more common as there is a larger black population. I think what it comes down to in many cases, is people are scared of what is different and the more people are exposed to something, the less different it becomes.

I also think you finding the humor in something rather than choosing to be offended is an excellent way to handle things.