View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #23
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This disconnect Canadians have with their prejudices is pretty startling when you come from somewhere else, even the US. I don't think it's that blatant and I think that's why people have trouble identifying it and dealing with it, it's these learned ideas that infect the way people think and act, even while telling themselves "I'm not racist." Some people have come to believe that as long as I don't outwardly hate someone because of their skin colour, I'm not racist. But how has their own upbringing influenced the way they think about others, even on a subconscious level? Or their parents' views?

One thing though, I love your overall message, but we don't use the term "oriental" for people anymore. I know you didn't mean anything by it, so I just wanted to let you know.
Funny enough I did give pause when I wrote the word "oriental". Just like I did with "east-Indian". Perhaps we can extend that to the word "black" too... because really nobody is "black" per se.

And this actually touches on something else... there is a definite difference in HOW some words are used and whether that is racist or not. Context has a lot to do with how or if a word in and of itself is bad or not... and prejudice... and pre-conceived ideas of the deliverer/recipient/eaves-dropper.

A friend of mine, of non-Caucasian descent yet very much Canadian (despite been born outside of the country), has said that until you actually grow up and experience genuine prejudice as you age, you really have no idea what it's like. I had to agree, because indeed I have lived a privileged life (by comparison to many).

A family member, of non-Caucasian descent, actually gets upset when others WHO HAVE NOT ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED RACISM, decide that they should be incensed about a word, phrase, or situation. Very interesting perspectives.

So I would also caution the readers here to obviously be aware, sensitive, correct yourself/family as needed. BUT to also consider that there are other political agendas at play in our media that are using the racism card to further their goals and create division and violence.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: