View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #22
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This disconnect Canadians have with their prejudices is pretty startling when you come from somewhere else, even the US. I don't think it's that blatant and I think that's why people have trouble identifying it and dealing with it, it's these learned ideas that infect the way people think and act, even while telling themselves "I'm not racist." Some people have come to believe that as long as I don't outwardly hate someone because of their skin colour, I'm not racist. But how has their own upbringing influenced the way they think about others, even on a subconscious level? Or their parents' views?

One thing though, I love your overall message, but we don't use the term "oriental" for people anymore. I know you didn't mean anything by it, so I just wanted to let you know.
This conversation reminded me of one of the songs from Avenue Q.

As far as the overall topic of systemic racism in Canada. It is pretty damn obvious when you speak to the older generation in regards to indigenous people and problems. All we can do is try and educate those who have these views and try make the world a little more understanding.

Last edited by Since1984; 10-01-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post: