View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #1445
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Since 1991, the Pens have 5 Cups so...

In recent times, Oilers are unequivocally no good.
Also, since the Oilers last touched the Cup: Detroit has won it 4 times; Chicago and New Jersey have won it 3 times; LA and Colorado have won it twice; and 9 separate teams have won it once.

But sure, Kevin, you're absolutely the first thing that comes to mind when people think of the Stanley Cup.

----------

That reminds me of the first time Crosby made the Western Canadian road trip. The media in Vancouver and Calgary covered the story about local fans being excited to see him live for the first time, but in Edmonton, it was all about how Crosby was coming to play on the hallowed ground that Gretzky once walked on. I recall one person actually saying something to the effect of "you can't be a real superstar in the league until you've played in Edmonton because we were home to the greatest superstar of all-time".

In his first media scrum, someone asked him about being excited to play on the same ice where Gretzky won all his Cups, and Crosby just gave a confused look and asked when Gretzky was traded. Someone in the scrum responded "1988", and Crosby said something like, "I was born in 1987. I don't have any memories of watching Gretzky as an Oiler." I wish there was video of it somewhere, but I've never been able to find it. I'm sure the actual thing isn't as amazing as it is in my mind, so maybe I don't want to see it again.