View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I can watch the Overwatch League in silky smooth 60 fps video at 1080p at a super high bitrate, but I struggle to get good quality video for the NHL online. Esports have a huge advantage already in the online streaming arena, and they're definitely capitalizing on it. There's a reason it's getting so big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Personally, I don't have any interest in it. It doesn't drive me out of my chair to watch it.

I would bet that if you had one event a year at the Dome it might sell out the first time, but after that, the novelty would probably wear off. But who knows.

Going to watch people play video games seems silly, plus doesn't it usually come down to who can exploit better?
It seems silly to you why? Have you watched the games? No one is exploiting in esports. It's all about skill and reaction times. I would imagine because it's not a physical sport you don't feel the same connection. They do practice and devote time and money into these esports as much as any other sport.

If Seattle and Vancouver can fill arenas for esports events repeatedly, then why wouldn't you want Calgary to get in on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
As a casual viewer just watching a match to see what the hype was all about, I just couldn't get into it. With real sports, even if I don't follow football, basketball, hockey, etc, I can still appreciate a really great catch, a crazy lay up, or a spectacular save by a goalie. But with eSports, I have no idea what's going on, or what's happening. I think fighting games may be a bit more accessible to the casual view, but I'm totally lost watching an RTS match. It's just a bunch of stuff happening on screen that the commentator and the crowd are all super excited about, but just totally lost on me.
I get why you have this attitude towards esports, but sports like football are games that have been around for a very long time, which means you understand the inner workings of the rules more even as a casual occasional viewer. If these esports games become even more popular, then the general rules become more understood by everyone, and therefore you will be able to appreciate them more. It'll just take time.

When I watch football, it's a bunch of guys running around in set plays and people getting excited for a tackle. When I watch Dota 2, it's a bunch of guys running routes and people getting excited for a surprise kill. These aren't very different at all. The main difference will be what I take the time to better understand.

Most people are just shrugging this off because "video games are bad for you", but they've been around for decades and we're not all maladjusted humans for playing them. The most marketable demographic in the world spends more time watching online video than TV, and a huge number of that same demographic watch people play video games. Rather than dismissing it as irrelevant, it would be better to understand why sites like Twitch are so incredibly popular.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote