View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #442
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Technically Smith never captained in England. It was Michael Clarke in 2015.

The point still stands though. A 34 year old journey man keeper, who is hardly a fan favourite and was vilified after Headingley, just accomplished something a couple of the greats of Aussie cricket never have. Incredible!

Test matches and T20s are both awesome for different reasons. I was finding ODIs pointless since why do we need two forms of limited overs cricket. The excitement of the world cup has started to change my mind on this though.
During the world cup, West Indies great Michael Holding made a comment that I really enjoyed:
"These guys (Young West Indies batsmen) are used to going out and hitting 45 off 30 balls and someone slaps you on the back and says Good job man. But that's not real cricket", his point being that these players are so focused on the T20 game that they dont know how to play the more patient game which is necessary in ODI and test cricket.

I think T20 can be fun but for me the real excitement in cricket is in the strategy and skill, which both fall by the wayside on T20 in favour of just giving it a bash. As Micael Holding alluded to, there is no real consequence for playing recklessly and no reward for patience.

Last edited by Party Elephant; 09-10-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote