View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default The Richard Cup -- A 3 on 3 Hockey Championship Proposal

Ok, it’s the dog days of summer, so I thought I’d throw out an idea that’s been percolating in my head for the last few years and see what people think. A post in another thread got me thinking about it again, so here it is, the Richard Cup 3 on 3 Hockey Championship!

Basically, I propose that the NHL eliminate the All Star Game and the World Cup, and replace them with an annual 3 on 3 championship tournament, with all 32 NHL teams represented.

This double knock out tournament would take place over the first 10 days of the current training camp period and would feature 11 veteran players from each NHL team (9 skaters, 2 goalies). Basically overlapping with rookie camp and a few days of main camp. Because it’s a double knock out tourney, only a few teams would have players miss any of main camp, as most teams will be out in the first 6 days anyway.

I propose double knock out, because all games are either relegation or elimination games, and 32 teams is close to perfect for double knock out. I envision each game being two 10 minute periods, with sudden death overtime if needed. Ice is cleaned between each game, and thoroughly scraped between periods. Time between games should be similar to the time between periods in an NHL game.

There would be four host cities, two in the East and two in the West. Preferably cities close to each other geographically, so something like Vancouver-Seattle in the West and Toronto-Detroit in the East. Each conference would have a primary host and a secondary one, with the final three days of games being in held in just one of the primary host cities.

Each host city would start with the host team, and 7 random teams from their conference. The teams could also be seeded after the host team, but random is kind of fun. The first round matchups would also be random.

Here is how things would play out from there:

Spoiler!

Ok, that’s most of proposal in a (large) nutshell. The NHL gets 18 ticketed events to sell and lots of live action airtime for its broadcast partners. There is no need to extend the NHL season (in fact it’s shortened slightly with no All-Star break). For NHL vets, they get to skip the part of training camp where a bunch of rookies are running around trying to make a name for themselves. The early preseason games can probably run as usual in all but the primary host cities, and those usually feature very few of the star vets anyway. Only six teams miss more than a week of camp, and at most I would say the last two teams could miss 12 days (10 for the Richard Cup, a day after to travel and one day of rest) before joining main camp. All revenue would of course go into HRR, raising player salaries even for the players who don’t get to go.

A few more thoughts:
Spoiler!

I probably forgot some stuff, and I’m sure there are fans of the World Cup and best on best tournaments like that who will hate this, but I think it’s a fun idea.

TLDR; An Annual 3 on 3 hockey championships made up of the best players from all the NHL teams would be fun, and could replace the All Star Game and the weird every so often World Cups. It would overlap with the first part of training camp, so it wouldn’t impact the season length.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post: