View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #60
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I also tend to agree, and in the present the most effective argument to be made for raising banners for Division winners comes from an appreciation of the tradition: Divisional banners are raised because they have always been raised in the living memory of most hockey fans. Were the League to adopt a departure from the tradition, then I would think it should also come at the expense of all the existing Divisional winning banners.

From the League's perspective, I think it makes sense for aesthetic reasons. Let's be honest: were no team to celebrate Division wins, then most buildings would have almost no banners having in the rafters. The banners fill out the building and make it a more inviting place to be. Is this enough of an excuse to keep raising them?
To be honest, I wasn't really aware raising division bammers was a tradition. Is that true for all teams? I doubt Montreal does it.

As an aside, my favorite MLB team, the Astros, changed up their banners a couple of years ago. Whereas previously every post season team had a banner, they now have only two. A NL pennant and a World Series championship. The other post season teams have smaller plaques in a different part of the building. I kind of like that. The Astros are a team with little success over their history until recently and they're making a point of what they aspire to be.

Regardless of what they do, I hope the Flames give thought as to how things will be in the new building. I don't really feel more banners is necessarily better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote