View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I never said the regular season was an abject failure, I said it was overshadowed by the playoff failure.
Which is something I acknowledged, but which you have ignored...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I pointed out as much specifically in my post, but "overshadowing" the memory is entirely different than revising it altogether. The fact is, the Flames played a very good second half—definitely not as good as the first, but also not anywhere near the debacle that some people seem to misremember. The disappointment should come exclusively from what happened in the playoffs, because the regular season—from start to finish—is rightly characterized is pretty spectacular.
At issue here is not how we should feel about the totality of the 2018–19 season, but rather how should we feel about the second most impressive Regular Season in franchise history. If you would take time to read things before spouting off, you would have recognized the point to which you responded, and my subsequent employment of a reducto ad absurdum to illustrate as much. Sadly, you missed it.

Quote:
You should criticize the text more thoroughly. Its more than a little embarrassing that I have to teach that to you.

I also said, in my text, that they won the Pacific division. They have the banner to prove it.

Yay.
You responded to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get the disappointment of the early playoffs exit, but what was wrong with how the season ended? The Flames won top seed in the West with games to spare, and they played some excellent hockey down the stretch including a textbook road game in SJ to clinch.
With this:
Quote:
The last 5 leave a sour taste that somewhat invalidates the prior 82.

Those 82 games were to jockey for position and get the fans amped up for the playoffs.

Upon which the team promptly face-planted and went home. That being the most recent memory....yeah, overshadows a nice regular season.

If the playoffs hadnt been a complete and utter disaster then I might agree with you. But they were, and so here we are.
My reading comprehension is just fine, thanks. Since you have openly disagreed with my suggestion that the Regular Season be remembered and celebrated for what it was, then what option am I left with other than to conclude that you are content to manufacture an alternative history of the Flames's Regular Season in view of your disappointment with the Playoffs?

So, in the end my recommendation continues to be this: If you are going to be disappointed, then be disappointed about the Playoffs. I don't see how any useful purpose is served to use that frustration to exaggerate the truth about the Regular Season, which is what was taking place in the post to which I responded in the first place. My problem is with the exaggeration, not the disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote