View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #59
Mr. Ski
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
How do 1080p projectors look compared to a 1080p tv? I have always doubted a projected could get such a crisp image with the screen 8-10 feet long and the projector showing the image from a few feet away. Does it actually work?
Different, but both are great.

I have a 37" Sharp Aquos in the bedroom that is 1080P, and the aforementioned BenQ W5000 1080P projector.

The Aquos looks like a very big LCD computer monitor - crisp, clear and bright. Great 'little' TV.

The projector is not as bright, working best in a light controlled room; as such I've set it up so that I can have my theater room pitch black at high-noon, and have all my lights in the room on 3 selectable dimmers for whatever increased light level I desire above that. In that environment, nothing beats watching hockey, football, xbox or movies at 10'3" diagonal from only 10 feet back. It's like having a widescreen IMAX-like experience at home. Blu-ray movies shown in 24P look by far the best of any media (with xbox and ps3 games a close second). Shaw HD is also good, but you can see that the signal isn't as clean or uncompressed.

Watching in 1080/24P is very, very smooth and 'film-like', which considering everything from the disk through to the projector is fully digital is quite a feat. The focus is tack sharp too. Further, you don't see any screen door effect until you're within about 5-6 feet of the screen (which is way too close to see the whole thing at once anyhow).

I debated a long time getting a 60" LCD or Plasma before finally deciding on a projector. Now, no regrets at all.

Last edited by Mr. Ski; 03-30-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: sp
Mr. Ski is offline   Reply With Quote