View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #107
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really believe that there will be a couple of prospects that really surprise people here this upcoming season - Pettersen and Pelletier.

Pettersen has top-end skill. He had a slow start to his North American career playing in the USHL - must have been the adjustment coming over from Norway and all. That's why he dropped so much in the draft (well, dropping as compared to what many people were hoping to see from a kid who was exceptionally talented and noticed at a very young age). He did much better than expected at the NCAA level, and I think after gaining that experience and having his coaches see first-hand how coachable and reliable he is, that I bet he has a much stronger season that will really turn heads.

Pelletier is a high-end talent. People don't realize that about this kid. There were a few people who watched this kid play in the Q, and they were really pissed that the Flames drafted him there, and were pissed that their favourite teams didn't take him sooner. They looked at him as the straw that stirred the drink on that line, whereas people who didn't see him would point at Jeremy McKenna (19 year old season) being 'the guy'. Sure, those two had some synergy together, but from those watching, Pelletier was the much more talented and much more rounded player. McKenna didn't even get drafted. I had no idea who this kid was leading up to the draft, but after doing my research I am convinced this kid was a steal. Unreal talent and drive in this kid.

I think overall, the talent level at forward and at goaltending is really strong here. Defence is rather shaky if you graduate Kylington and Valimaki, that's for sure, but as far as forwards and goalies go, this team is really deep, even with the 'goalies are a wildcard' mentality.

I disagree with the Flames being in last place. They have consistently been one of the better drafting and developing teams for a few years now, and have been generally better and better since 2008. I just think Pronman is stat watching as he can't possibly go and see every prospect in the organization, and even if he has (by some miracle), I am sure some guys he has only seen once or twice anyway. I don't have a problem with Pronman's reputation as some others have, but he has been wrong just as often as being right (pretty much like anything else out there).

I bet there will be a couple more surprises this upcoming season with respect to the prospect base (I mean, there always is, but a few will move much higher than expected).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote