View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #18
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
HBO is a dinosaur. "They stick with what works"... uhh, no, they stick with a ####ing terrible delivery method and so everyone pirates their shows.

If any network needs a kick in the ass to wake up to the new reality, it's HBO.

How long did it take them to get HBO Go going? 6-7 years behind the curve?

I actually 100% disagree. When HBO Go launched, it was about 2 years ahead of the curve I'd say. They had a super successful and profitable arrangement with cable companies, but they were smart enough to see the respective trends of cable TV and Netflix and took the initiative to build a completely standalone delivery system so they could sell directly to the consumer. Not many businesses have the guts to make such a pivot. I think the market would eventually have forced their hand, but I give HBO props for having some foresight.

When one can pay $15/month for all HBO content and watch on-demand on any device with no commercials, there is no justification to pirate the content.

Now, in Canada, of course its a different story. Bell owns the rights to HBO content (rumoured until 2020, and who knows, they might strike a new deal). Bell did not follow HBO's lead and make the content available standalone. They are the dinosaurs refusing to meet the consumer demands. They have at least started making 1+ year old HBO content available standalone via CraveTV, but this isn't enough to satisfy the consumer demands for a popular 'watercooler' show like Game of Thrones. Under this model, it is no surprise if piracy is rampant.

As for the future of HBO content, I agree with the article. HBO is a sign of quality. Netflix originals were novel for the first year or two, but now it's often the sign of content that couldn't find a buyer anywhere else. Is it worth diluting the HBO brand just to get people to watch for more hours? Can't we just have Netflix for filler, and HBO for the must-see stuff? As it stands, I'd be happy to pay more for 2 hours of quality HBO content than 6 hours of hit-and-miss Netflix content.

But about Netflix content...I just love GLOW. Binged through season 2 too quickly, and now I'm going back to enjoy season 1 again. Marc Maron is particularly good this season, Betty Gilpin is solid, and Alison Brie is one of the best actresses working today.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post: