View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #6384
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well we have a pretty solid working definition already. I’m not sure why this seems to be so controversial to you though. We’ve had the GST in Canada for a few decades and always had exemptions for goods that are considered essential. It seems to work fine and while I haven’t searched for it, there doesn’t seem to be an uproar about it being levied on items that are essential and penalizing the working poor.
Groceries? what what about candy/pop. maybe some hippys that don't understand nutrition take over and except organic food.
Clothing? is there a difference between $15 jeans, and $300 jeans?
Heat/Electric? is there a set sqft per person once this becomes unessential
Water?
Gas? or maybe we say bus passes are good enough?
Phone/Internet? nah communication isn't vital to participation in modern society
Home Appliances?

Essentials can cut pretty deep depending on your prospective, much deeper than GST accounts for. The working definition we have makes value judgements place buying bread higher than the value of getting to work, or dressing well enough to get a good job. Any way you look at it it's paternalistic. (and I support paternalism at times, I'm just saying to make exceptions you need to make value judgements, and there is a lot of room for disagreement).

Last edited by #-3; 10-18-2021 at 10:53 AM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote