View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #58
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It sounds like you have an emotional soft spot for Z cars, which is cool, but it's not like they've always been great. There were the lame automatic ones that drove like bloated pigs in the line up over the years. My dad had a 300zx automatic with T-roof. It was a mid-90s thing. That was a bland, slow, boring-ass car, although how do you not love a T-top, so that was cool. I drove that quite a bit, but never enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't an enthusiast's car and was more along the lines of a base model V6 Mustang.

You're describing a Mustang vs Z car as though they're wildly different. Two-door, RWD sports cars that duke it out in overlapping price ranges are competitors. Somebody with an open mind and love for cars would easily cross shop those vehicles.
Based on your description and colour, it was the Z32 300ZX that your Dad owned. The Z32 (1990-96 NA production) is still one of the most revered Sports Cars of the 1990's. It was on C&D's 10 best list every year it was produced along with every pretty much every other magazines 'best list'. The 4 speed automatic is woeful, good reason it sat unsold at Brasso for so long until your Dad bought it. Why did your Dad not get a 5 Speed?

Like Corsi, I'm a Z fan and currently own a 1990 Aztec Red Z32 with 60K that was purchased new at Stadium Nissan. I have also owned a 1990 Pearl Yellow TT, 1973 240Z. I have also owned a 1965 Datsun 1500 Roadster, 1991 D21 truck and a 2006 FX35 and 2011 FX50. The FX's were both awesome, especially the 50.

My gripe with current Nissan/Infiniti is the broad use of CVT's and the rather uninspiring dynamics on many of their platforms. The QX80 is essentially a Patrol which is an awesome 4 wheeler. I would still dig a new 370Z NISMO or R35 GT-R. The Q50RS is still great fun, although in need of a re-fresh however.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post: