View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #234
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Nothing wrong with being cautious, but you go over the top sometimes in your efforts to be the sober voice.
I'll own that. I do tend to meet hyperbole with hyperbole. A bad habit.

Just to be clear, I was in full support of signing Gadwin. Another round in the chamber so to speak. But expectations need to be tempered - big time. For all the reasons you mentioned about his explosion in offense, but also the nature of the game. Development is about peaks and valleys. Gadwin has hit a massive peak, one he has never achieved before in playing career. The next valley is likely going to be a big drop off as he tries to find the balance in his game. It is going to happen.

I would not be surprised if Gadwin gets some ECHL time next year as he searches for that next plateau. The next step is going to be very difficult for a player that has spent five years at the same level, one where his age and maturity are no longer a benefit or factor. It is a long road these kids face, and for some like Gadwin, the deck has been stacked against them. The big numbers will only set expectations to a level that will be difficult for the player to achieve.

It would be wonderful if this was a kid being a late bloomer, a la Micheal Ferland, but Gadwin has been at this for a long time, and a late bloomer doesn't appear to be the case. Next season will be interesting for him. I hope he does develop into something special, but history seems to suggest that is highly unlikely.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: